Why oh why had I taken this all for granted? Was it too late for me? Was I going to turn into my little old haunched over grandmother? Oh dear, what a sinking feeling I had sitting there in my doctor's office staring at the pamphlet on Osteoporosis that had been handed to me. I decided right then and there in that examining room that I was going to fight with every ounce of my being to stop the advance of this disease....to do whatever it takes!
Gi-Gi, my doctor got me started on 50,000 units of vitamin D a week for 10 weeks....one pill, that's it. It's been over ten weeks now since starting the vitamin D treatment and I feel so much better plus a patch of psoriasis on my elbow has all but cleared up.
I started with a trainer at the gym and told her to push me hard.....here are some things I'm been doing.
- Added more protein to my diet
- Added more calcium rich foods
- Stopped the negative talk about myself ( I'm good enough!)
- Continued weight bearing exercises like walking
- Using circuit training ( it really works!!..I'll talk more about this later)
- Strengthening my "core" with weight bearing, free exercise and Pilate's
- Pushing my 57 year old self farther than I ever thought possible!
When my trainer Jill first had me do the plank (in the picture at the top) I was used to doing them from Pilate's...we held them oh ... 10 seconds or so...no biggy. Jill told me to hold it 30 seconds..."seriously??", I screeched, not believing what I just heard her say. After Jill started having me hold them 60 seconds, I googled it, I KNEW this had to be abuse...but no....2 minutes was the average hold. Never should have told her that one! ;-) Now I'm up to a minute and a half!
I'm hanging in there doing everything I can do
to be the best I can be.
It's a good fight to be in!
Note: My daughter posted some really cute pictures
of the girls on her blog check it out!