This was in the last Southern Living, the recipe looks great except for the ready to serve rice. I've tasted it and I don't care for it, I'd make some. Also if you don't care for fully cooked pork roast...seems like any meat would work here, chicken, turkey, ham whatever you have or like. Even some ground turkey or lean beef could work.
Prep: 10 min. You can make this recipe up to two days before serving. Prepare as directed through Step 2; cover and chill overnight.
Then take to work and store in a refrigerator until ready to heat as directed.
1 (8.8-oz.) pouch ready-to-serve whole grain medley rice*
1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
1/4 cup shredded fully cooked pork roast au jus
2 to 3 Tbsp. Cuban Salsa Verde
1. Remove 3/4 cup rice from ready-to-serve pouch. Reserve remaining rice for another use.
2. Layer rice, beans, pork, and salsa, in this order, in a microwave-safe plastic container.
3. Cover with lid; lift 1 corner to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir before serving.
*1 (8.8-oz.) package ready-to-serve brown rice may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Medley Brown & Wild and Hormel Fully Cooked Pork Roast Au Jus.
Note: Nutritional analysis includes 2 Tbsp. Cuban Salsa Verde.
Makes 1 serving
CALORIES 405(0.0% from fat); FAT 8.3g (sat 0.8g,mono 2.9g,poly 1.1g); IRON 2.8mg; CHOLESTEROL 35mg; CALCIUM 73mg; CARBOHYDRATE 62.8g; SODIUM 820mg; PROTEIN 23.4g; FIBER 10.6g
Anything that includes lime juice is yummy in my book!
Sweet Chili-Lime Sauce Noodles with Vegetables
1 cup cooked whole grain spaghetti (2 oz. uncooked)
2 cups shredded bok choy*
1/4 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup fresh snow peas
Sweet Chili-Lime Sauce (recipe below)
1/4 cup shredded cooked chicken (optional)
1. Place pasta, next 4 ingredients, and, if desired, chicken in a medium-size microwave-safe plastic container. Cover with lid, and shake to combine.
2. Lift 1 corner of lid to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
*2 cups shredded coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Mueller's Whole Grain Spaghetti.
Note: Nutritional analysis includes Sweet Chili-Lime Sauce.
Makes 1 serving
CALORIES 344(0.0% from fat); FAT 2.5g (sat 0.6g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.8g); IRON 3.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 30mg; CALCIUM 190mg; CARBOHYDRATE 61.3g; SODIUM 641mg; PROTEIN 21.2g; FIBER 8.9g
Sweet Chili-Lime Prep: 5 min.
2 tablespoons bottled sweet chili sauce
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
Stir together all ingredients until blended.
Makes about 3 Tbsp.
CALORIES 77(0.0% from fat); FAT 0.1g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g); IRON 0.0mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 17.3g; SODIUM 500mg; PROTEIN 0.1g; FIBER 0.1g