Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks..

I heard about this story while listening to Rush the other day..thought I'd post it since the Freedom to worship is something I am very thankful for. After this election we have all come to believe some of our freedoms are in jeopardy....I pray not. Nevertheless, this is an awesome article written by Jennifer James, a freelance writer...it appeared in the LA Times....wow...anyway brave Jennifer called Rush to tell him...Jennifer, you rock! Thanks!


"Freedom From Want," a painting by Norman Rockwell.


It was Thanksgiving, and for the first time our whole family was together.


By Jennifer James November 23, 2008


It was Thanksgiving, and for the first time our whole family was together. Mom and Dad had to drive all night just to get here, but boy was it worth it!

The Grandsters really know how to do it up right. The Grandsters being Grandpa and Grandma. We were all seated at the table, and I couldn't wait to dive into those mashed potatoes and gravy.
And the smell of the turkey -- I thought I was going to faint with happiness.

"What's that, Mindy?" demanded my little cousin Sam.

He can be such a pain. He is 8 years old, two years younger than I am.

"What's what?" I asked.

He pointed to a little paper cup containing just three kernels of corn beside Grandpa's plate.

I opened my mouth to answer and then realized I didn't know. Ugh!

How I hate admitting that I don't know something!Grandma answered, "It is to pay tribute to the Pilgrims."

"But why three kernels?" asked the always curious Sam. Give it a rest, I thought.

Grandpa answered, "It reminds me of what a tough time the Pilgrims had. In the beginning, three kernels of corn was each person's daily food ration." The table got real quiet after he said that.

Grandpa continued, "Against all odds, they made a life for themselves in the wilderness. Let's talk more about it after dinner. "

"Sure enough, dinner was over and Sam wanted to know more." Squanto taught the Pilgrims to grow corn!" Sam exclaimed.

He's never going to forget that -- he played Squanto in the Thanksgiving Day play at school.

"That's right," Grandpa said. "But at first the Pilgrims were terrified of the Indians, as they called them.

Then one day a tribesman named Samoset ventured into their encampment. He was tall and dark and by many accounts quite handsome.

Loudly and plainly he proclaimed, 'Welcome!' in perfect English."

"The Pilgrims must have freaked!" shouted Sam.Grandpa laughed and agreed. "I'm sure you're right. He had learned the language from English fishermen.

For the Pilgrims, life was a constant battle for survival.

Later, Governor William Bradford made a decision.

Instead of the colonists sharing their crops equally, he assigned a parcel of land to each family and told them they could keep whatever they produced for themselves."

"Then what happened?" asked Sam.

"At last the Pilgrims began to prosper. Governor William Bradford wrote in his book 'Of Plymouth Plantation,''

''This had very good success, for it made all hands industrious, so as much more corn was planted than otherwise would have been.'"

"Shoot! If you can keep everything you make, of course you're going to work harder.

"Everybody knows that."Grandpa answered, "The first seed had been planted for the American Revolution. "

People were free to practice their religions as they saw fit and were free to keep the fruits of their labor.

This had never happened before in the history of mankind.

In the words of William Bradford, ''As one small candle may light a thousand, so the light here kindled hath shone unto many, yea in some sort to our whole nation.' "

"That William Bradford sounds like a pretty cool guy," said Sam.

"He was a pretty cool guy," Grandpa said with a chuckle.


Dick and I are on the road to Virginia, we are going to spend Thanksgiving with our son Brad and his wife Cheri, our grandson Sam and Cheri's Mom and family.

Our son's name is William Bradford...very cool person to share a name with!


Dick and I are blessed beyond reason with a wonderful family...we love all of you so very much and thank God for you! Melissa, Shawn, Leah, Rich and Rachel we will miss being with you on Turkey Day, but hold you tight in our hearts!

To all my bloggy friends...so grateful for all of you! Blogging is so relaxing and such a great part of my life, you all enrich my world so much...God bless you all!!

With a grateful heart I want to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maree,

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family. Travel safe. I too am very thankful to have you for a friend.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

We are getting ready to go to Mark's sister's house and Avery is watching the Thanksgiving parade. I really enjoyed your story and what a great name. I will try and take some pictures of our feast. I am so thankful for you. BTW, I have been making some serious choices about my eating habits this week. I can't wait to tell you the good results. I am only going to weigh every Monday morning so I don't get obsessive about it. Turkey should be a great choice for me. Have a safe and fun trip! love ya, Trish

SweetAnnee said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you my friend..your blog looks lovely
smiles to you
deena

Lorie said...

Maree,
I loved that story and how cool about the name being the same. Hope you have a blessed weekend with family.I am thankful to have found your blog and call you friend!
Be blessed!
Lorie