Thursday, July 31, 2008

I remember Momma


I've gotten some comments about food presentation, in fun. Truth is, I can't help it, it's a natural thing, I learned it from Mom.


Mom's life work was working at church, since my dad was a preacher and taking care of our family. Meals were always carefully planned to include meat, vegetables, starches and (unfortunately for our waistlines), dessert.


In the 60's when I was about 13 or so, we were living on a fairly busy street in a large town. My two sisters, mom and I were at home when a knock came at the door. Mom answered the door, it was a homeless man asking for something to eat. Mom told him to have a seat on the swing on the front porch and excitedly went to the kitchen to get him something to eat. My sisters and I watched in amazement. The guy had not been particularly pleasant about asking, and he looked terrible and smelled worse.


As she busied herself in the kitchen warming up pot roast and vegetables (we didn't have microwaves back then), we looked out the living room window to keep tabs on this strange man.

Finally, mom had her carefully made plate of delicious food ready (which I'm sure contained pot roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls and for sure a jello salad) and took it out to him. To which he replied, "Lady, I just wanted a sandwich."


My sisters and I were aghast! What!! Turn away a perfectly good plate of food! How dare he!!


Mom who was not a bit taken back, said to the guy, "okay, wait a minute, I'll be right back," and turned around heading right back to the kitchen. There she put everything inside two pieces of bread, packed it all in a bag and handed the bag to him. The homeless guy didn't say thanks, bye, kiss my grits....nothing, just turned left eating the sandwich as he walked away down the street toward the park.


Well, none of this sat well with me and my sisters. How dare he!! Mom, why would you go to all that trouble for that stinking man!! She looked at us, her eyes filling with tears, "oh girls, don't you know, he could have been an angel unawares or Jesus!"


I learned a valuable lesson that day, one I'll never forget. Oh, I remember momma, precious momma.



2 comments:

fleur de lis cottage said...

What a sweet momma with a servant's heart. Such a great example to be christ-like.

Anonymous said...

This story gave me goosebumps! Thanks for sharing it, it's a great reminder!